I officially fell in love with eggplant, nearly 10 years ago, when eating PF Chang’s ground chicken with eggplant. Since then it has claimed the #1 spot on my list of favorite vegetables. We’ll be growing some in the garden this year…I am dying to see how they turn out.
I’ve been craving a bit of pf chang’s and decided to try to make our own version of the recipe:
1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1 large eggplant, sliced into 1″ x 3″ strips, soaked and salted for an hour
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs water
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp chili paste
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 1/2 tbs sesame seeds
2-3 scallions, chopped
1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced
1 1/2 c brown rice, cooked
salt to taste
- Begin cooking rice and prepare eggplant. About 20 minutes before rice is done, begin cooking your sauce:
- In a large saucepan, warm oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, water, and chili paste.
- On medium low heat, add garlic and sesame seeds to slightly brown
- Add chicken and scallions and cook for a few minutes with lid a top.
- Once chicken is no longer red, add eggplant and replace lid.
- Just as eggplant is getting tender, add cilantro for another minute.
Serve over rice and salt to taste.