In the quest for a great spinach meal, one that I could make with items already in the kitchen, I came across a recipe for an Indian Spinach Souffle. After substituting several ingredients, the result:
3 c spinach, chopped
1/4 c cheese (I used Jarlsberg Swiss)
1 3/4 c almond milk (rice milk would also work fine)
1 tbs brown rice flour
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp olive oil
a pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1. Puree spinach with 1 tbs olive oil.
2. In a small saucepan, combine brown rice flour & 2 tbs almond milk to make a smooth paste. Add remaining milk, mix, and bring to a boil.
3. Separate egg whites and beat until smooth. Set yolks aside.
4. In a medium saucepan heat remaining olive oil and saute onion for a few minutes. Add spinach puree and let cool. Mix in milk, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Transfer to small, greased baking pan.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff and then gently fold into spinach mixture. Cover with cheese and bake in oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
It didn’t look like much, but it had a new taste that we enjoyed.