It was so nice to eat a couple delicious and warm soups before we went a-caroling in 14 degree windy weather. 🙂 Thanks to everyone for making such wonderful food and treats! I will try to gather the rest of the recipes from that fun evening to share.
Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
whole organic chicken
several cups of wate4
1-2 tbs olive or coconut oil
3 lemongrass stalks (tough outer leaves removed, bottom 5 inches halved lengthwise and sliced)
1 large red onion, diced
5-6 garlic cloves, minced/pressed
8 sprigs fresh cilantro
3 tbs fish sauce
2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
3 tbs fresh lime juice (we used about 1/4-1/3 cup lemon juice)
3 tsp thai curry paste (red or green will do nicely)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 Serrano chilies sliced thin (I couldn’t find any at the store, so I left these out…just add more chili paste for kick)
2 green onions sliced thin
1 lime wedged (we just added a few drops to our bowl at the end)
- In a large crockpot, place whole chicken and add water till nearly covering chicken. This will make the best broth. Cook on High for 4-5 hours (do this in the morning or afternoon before making rest of soup)
- In a large soup pot heat oil on medium heat. Add lemongrass, onions, garlic, cilantro & 1 tbs of the fish sauce. Cook, stirring frequently 2-5 minutes until veggies are soft but not brown.
- Stir in 4 cups of the chicken broth from the crock pot and 1 can of the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer on med-high heat, then turn to low, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Return to medium heat, add remaining can of coconut milk, bring to a simmer and add mushrooms. Cook till tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pull chicken off bones and add to the soup. Stir in the lemon juice, curry paste, and remaining fish sauce. Salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and add desired garnish.
สนุก! (enjoy!) and get warm this wintry weekend 🙂 xoxo ~ katrina