Back to school generally brings new excitement, we just weren’t planning on this much excitement! 🙂 Nearly everyone was feeling a bit or a bit more under the weather, so when the younger kiddos began perking up and requesting muffins, we made a simple orange kamut muffin and some chicken noodle soup. I’m not sure that I’ve made it for them before, but they all ate it and everyone felt better!
kamut orange muffins
2 3/4 cups kamut flour (we ground about 2 1/2 cups kamut berries)
3/4 cup raw honey (always good for sickies)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
1 tsp orange grated rind
2 large eggs
8 tbs butter, softened and cut into small cubes
- In a mixer, combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Place in mini muffin pan and bake for 13 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Enjoy with a dollop of raw honey, jam or your favorite chutney
2 quarts water
2-3 chicken breasts
2 tbs olive oil
1 red onion, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced (we used 2 medium ones from the garden)
1-2 celery ribs, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh)
1 tsp dried parsley
7-8 ounces whole wheat pasta (we used farfalle)
salt & pepper
- In a large creuset or soup pot, boil chicken in water for 10 minutes.
- in a cast iron pan, warm oil on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until barely soft.
- Add vegetables to water, shred chicken, and add remaining ingredients.
- Boil soup for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- salt and pepper to taste