I was thinking about making mac n’ cheese…but we only have spaghetti whole wheat noodles…so I thought we’d create something with it in mind…feel free to use ust about any of your favorite types of whole grain pasta with this recipe (bow-tie/rigatoni, penne…etc.)
2 large eggs
1 can organic coconut milk
1 tsp stone ground mustard
1/4 tsp Habanero Ghost Crush Hot Sauce (an F’n Hot Sauce)
1 tsp sea salt
pinch of pepper
4 tbs (1/2 stick) organic butter
12 ounces cheddar cheese (3 cups), we used Heber Valley Artisan Cheese’ amber sharp cheddar (the kiddos love their cheese)
2-3 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced or cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tbs chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- In a large pot, boil 2 quarts water. Add 1/2 tsp sea salt and pasta and cook until al dente (cooked firm but not smooshy).
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, half of the coconut milk, mustard, hot sauce, remaining salt, and pepper.
- Drain cooked noodles (don’t rinse with water) and return them to the pot. Stir in butter on low heat until butter is melted.
- Add egg/milk mixture and half of the cheese, still heating on low. Add remaining egg mixture and cheese. Stir and cook until hot and creamy.
- Toss in spinach and tomatoes. Stir until spinach begins to wilt (1-2 minutes).
- Serve with basil atop and salt and pepper to taste.
Do you have a favorite pasta dish? I’d love to hear! ~ katrina