Everyone in our house loves our daily artisan bread…except the builder, especially when it comes to school lunches. He had a favorite spelt bread from Praire Grain Bread Company…that was healthy but oh, so expensive. We’ve gradually encouraged him try and enjoy other whole grain sliced breads from a couple other local sources. But again: too expensive.
So when Jessi sent me Tanya’s whole wheat bread recipe I was pretty excited.
What makes this recipe so special? It is flexible and you can use a variety of whole grains to your taste. Here is the original recipe. And here is what we chose to use in our first attempt:
- 4 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3 cups warm water
- 3 cups wheat berries, ground in the Wildside (totally worth the upgrade!)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 5 tbs vital wheat gluten
- 3 tbs salted organic butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 3 cups kamut berries (ground)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- In mixer, combine warm water and yeast and let dissolve
- Add wheat flour, honey, salt, vital wheat gluten, butter, and beat for 2 minutes
- Add flax & kamut flour, combine, and allow to rest for 10 minutes
- grease two baking pans with coconut oil
- Knead dough for 6-10 minutes (until smooth & elastic)
- cut in half, form 2 loaves and place in pans
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- allow to rise 30-35 minutes or until dough have risen just passed the pans
- bake for 35 minutes, remove from pans and allow to cool on racks
makes 2 loaves
(Somehow I missed a step in the rising department…but they turned out beautifully. Let me know what you think. I’m excited to try amaranth and spelt in our next concoction. :))
YUM! You amaze me with all that you do! Thanks for checking on us! Hope that this finds your family well!
Luv to you and the boys Cindy! Just so glad you’re all good!
I tried this with sprouted whole wheat flour and it was also amazing! Thanks for the yummy recipes.
Awesome! I just read how to make bread with sprouted wheat…which is different than the flour though right?