I love playing around with my creamy harissa spiced carrot soup recipe…I changed it up a bit and this was what we brought to sweet Lola’s blessing celebration. Much like the soup, Lola is a lot sweet and a smidge spicy – which I adore! 🙂 We have taken her out with us on sushi outings and she is a dream. When she gets upset, her cry makes you smile and laugh…she is delicious…just like the soup! We love you lil’ Lola! xoxo
5 c carrots
4-6 mini red and yellow peppers (1-2 large)
2 large tomatoes
6 small Portobello mushrooms
1 1/2 tsp harissa
1/2 -3/4 c tomato sauce
2 cans coconut milk
1 c water
1 tsp marjoram
1 tbs parsley
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp salt
4 tbs butter
8 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- Broil the peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms for 10-12 minutes, till pepper skins are starting to brown. (I use an old muffin tin and place all stems down).
- While veggies are broiling, slice carrots a bit and place them in your soup pot with the butter and garlic. Cover and cook on medium heat while peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms are broiling in the oven (5-10 minutes).
- Peel skin off peppers, remove seeds, and slice. Slice mushrooms and tomatoes and add to the pot. Add marjoram, oregano, harissa, tomato sauce, water, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Slowly add a cup or two at a time to blender and puree. (An immersion blender is heaven sent).
- Return puree to pot, add coconut milk, salt to taste, and warm until ready to serve.
Serve with fresh herbs and shredded Parmesan or white cheddar.
1/4 c dried crushed chili peppers
1/4 c warm water
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp dhana jeera (coriander & cumin)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Soak the dried crushed chili peppers in the warm water for about 10 minutes.
2. In a small food processor or blender, mix all ingredients.