It was a rough beginning. The kiddos gathered ’round as I plugged in my parent’s grinder (that they are letting us use…thx mom!). The spelt berries came from a 50 lbs bag that I barely got into the house and onto the counter. Pouring some out was very tricky. But soon the berries were in the grinder. Now to turn it on…
I turned the switch. A very loud boom, some smoke, and nothing. Not entirely sure what had happened, I figured that I must have done something wrong. There was a lot of dust on the outside of the motor. Could that be it? Maybe I put in too many spelt berries?
I thought I’d call for help, but the phone wouldn’t work. Weird. Finally, I realized that nothing was working. Out to the garage, I inspected the circuit breaker. Sure enough, the whole circuit was down. We needed to find a circuit in the house that is rarely used.
So off to the toy room. Voila! This is one noisy grinder. The kiddos loved helping, and were very impressed with the flour that came out of the magic drawer. I put in approximately 4 cups of spelt berries and received a little more than 6 cups of spelt flour. Not bad.
Next we made a fresh loaf of spelt bread. While it was rising, we ground some more spelt flour. About 5 cups into it, the grinder smoked and went ca-put again. We’ll try again later. I think there might be enough in there for the rest of the week. During nap-time, the builder told me that when the dancer woke, that he wanted to make bread and then cookies. Luv you my lil’ builder baker!